Friday 28 March 2008

What a Darling

My week with Larry Elliott took me to the Treasury yesterday to interview the Chancellor. Larry received a summons in the morning and in the afternoon we trotted off to Westminster keen to hear the news that Darling was clearly keen to impart. After a bit of a wait while he was ferried back from the Brown/Sarkozy extended photocall at the Emirates, we were ushered in for our audience.
Having only ever seen Mr Darling on TV, I had to suppress my childish urge to stare at the famous eyebrows. He was charm personified though and gave Larry a great story about new legislation to introduce US style plea-bargaining laws for City bad boys who manipulate the markets. The piece is today's splash.
I've also clocked up another shared by-line with a depressing-but-interesting piece about consumer confidence.
I spent this morning at Centre Point at a CBI press briefing to hear even more about how the economy is going to hell and we should probably all just give up now. There will potentially be huge job losses and confidence in the financial services sector is plummeting. Hopefully the piece will lead the section on Monday.

No comments: